Thursday, September 6, 2012

Jelly Roll Quilting

I recently took a class in making a "jelly roll" into a "lasagna quilt".  I bought this jelly roll from Fat Quarter Shop. It's 30 strips of laser cut 2 1/2 inch wide fabric from my favorite fabric designer, Amy Butler. The roll contains several patterns and colors from her Gypsy Caravan line.

Here's the finished quilt which I gave my sister for her birthday.


It went together very quickly.  I added a border of  Gypsy Mum in Periwinkle to match the backing.


I added binding using Deco Dots in Periwinkle.


When it was done it reminded me of Suzy Latham's grandmother's front porch on 34th Street in my hometown. It was a large veranda in the Arts & Crafts Craftsman style that surrounded three sides of the house with deep overhangs and stone walls.  The wicker porch furniture was covered with florals and the awnings were striped. We used to play Canasta with her grandmother and drink iced tea and lemonade on summer afternoons.

 
Gypsy Caravan Hammock in Pesto
 
 
Nice memories wrapped up in a throw quilt!
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment