Thursday, August 2, 2012

August Card Workshop


Summer Fun card for tomorrow's workshop is a card with several pre-made embellishments. That's just what you need for summer--some easy shortcuts!  I used K & Company Color Basics Radiant Multi cards and envelopes in yellow, green, blue and pink. I borrowed Bonnie's wave die cut again.  I used our group's Top Note die cut from Stampin' Up to make the blue polka dot pop-up frame. The papers were from a designer paper pad called Everyday Flair from Six by Six by My Mind's Eye,  I loved the dots and checks because they remind of summer fun from my childhood. The beachball and flip flops were from Gartner Studios' Summer Fun Confetti pack of 30 shapes (no adhesive). The sentiment is stamped in Versamark black ink using one of three stamps in the Stamp Craft set from Plaid.  And lastly, the adhesive pennant border was from Momenta. This is not an A2 card so the only hard part was designing in a little bigger space.  That's where the pennant border came into the design!


The second card is masculine. We have a lot of requests for masculine get well cards in our community through our outreach committee.  I saw a tutorial on Pinterest by Dawn Olchefske for "Triple Time Stamping."  She used florals but I had some compass, gears and globe stamps from Stampers Best that I thought might work with Dawn's technique. It was successful I think!

I cut the 3 ivory stamp areas and 3 chocolate mats using these sizes:  2 X 3.25 and 2.25 X 3.5 for the center layer, 3 X 4.25 and 3.25 X 4.5 for the middle level and 4 X 5.25 and 4.25 X 5.5 for the outside layer. Laying the three ivory pieces together, stamp all over with background (I used Gears and Papertrey Ink Fine Linen ink pad) and then a larger, darker pattern (I used the Compass and PTI Dark Chocolate ink pad). I used ivory cover stock from Staples for the stamp areas and the card itself.  I also used Staples A2 envelopes in ivory.  I had some chocolate paper in my stash. I think it was from Wal-Mart since it had the perforations and extra paper at the top with a hole in the center of the stack.  I also found a scrap of teal paper for the tags to coordinate with the stitching in the Burnt chocolate stitched Offray ribbon.  I cut the tags out of a Stampin' Up die cut by Sizzix called Lots of Tags.  I had some jute leftover from last month's workshop design.  I stamped the compass again and cut it out with a 1.5 inch circle punch.  A bigger punch, maybe 1.75 inch, would be a better fit, but it worked to cut it smaller.  I popped it up with foam tabs and colored the needle red with a marker. I even got out the brown marker to make the stitching on the tag to reflect the stitching in the ribbon. I'm very happy with the results.

Thanks to Dawn for the idea and my stash and my friends for the supplies!  That's the way a summer project should go together.  Just a little effort --and no trip to the store in the sweltering heat and humidity!

No comments:

Post a Comment