Sunday, February 10, 2013

One More Baby Project

There is an antique Jenny Lind cradle from the Kimball family which we have used since our son was born in 1971.  His father was in it in 1947 and his father before him in the mid-1920s.  The cradle was originally my husband's grandmother's from the turn of the century.  Grandma Kimball was a proper Bostonian of the Victorian era. The cradle originally had rockers which were popular then, but we removed. My son's three sons have also been in the cradle.  It is only usable the first few months when the babies are small, but it makes a good dolls' bed in between generations and siblings.
 
In 1971, I purchased a new foam rubber mattress, bumper pads, mattress pad and woven sheets from the Sears Roebuck & Co. catalog.  For my new granddaughter in 2013, I thought it was time to replace the plastic cover which was brittle and torn.  When I ripped the old one off, the foam rubber mattress underneath was thicker and firmer than any I could currently purchase so I kept it and used it again.
 
 
I searched for a material with which to cover the foam mattress and found
Amy Butler's laminated cotton to be the perfect choice--and easy to sew!
The name of this design in Paradise Garden from the Love Collection.
 
 
 
 
Here's the finished project.  Lily may sleep in it only once
(and in view of parents or grandparents for modern safety reasons) 
but it will make a perfect doll bed for her doll and stuffed animal collection--
just like her mother!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment