Sunday, July 27, 2014

A New Purchase and Some Other Inspirations for This Card Design


I made this card for my aunt and when I finished,
I remembered that she used to do tole painting.
The influence shows in the design and colors.


I found this photo of a tole tray after making the card.


I had been watching some videos from Papertrey Ink and Splitcoaststampers
on negative die-cut sentiments.  We had also used negative floral and butterfly die-cuts
in our monthly paper making group's sessions this summer.

I started with yellow gingham paper and black card stock and the birthday sentiment die-cut.
Then I added some larger flower negative punches (a Stampin' Up item) and 
some leaf and vine positive die-cuts (Papertrey Ink, I think).
It still didn't look right and I remembered my new purchase:
A smaller Martha Steward floral punch with three coordinating stamps.
I negative punched those smaller flowers among the larger florals.
Then I found some scraps to positive punch with the smaller floral and scatter about.
I used the center stamp from the small floral punch pack to give the small flowers some detail.
A few yellow gold rhinestones complete the look.

It's amazing to me how things come about once creativity sets in!
But also how all your background experiences and knowledge play a part too.
And then you need to have a "stash" to be able to achieve your ideas.
A new craft room to store the "stash" and provide lighting and air-conditioning helps, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment