Saturday, March 10, 2012

New rag quilt for Kathy


I started a new rag quilt yesterday.  The fabrics are from Fabric.com and a fabric store in Colchester, CT, Fabric Mills. All the fabrics are flannels in aqua, teal, and turquoise hues. I added chocolate brown and a solid light blue to "rest the eye" and continue the lights and darks from the patterns. 

It took me three hours to cut out the 4 X 10 inch rectangles from the nine fabrics. The fabric designs included Valori Wells Bliss Flannel Medallion Ocean and Birds Ocean, Valori Wells Karavan Flannel Kashmir Aqua, Sapna Shah Tree of Life Vines Aqua, Erin McMorris Greenhouse Flannel Buttonwood Aqua, Timeless Treasures Cuddle Flannel Swirls Turquoise, and A.E. Nathan Tie Die Turquoise

I cut about 150 sandwiches (2 layers of same fabric with batting inside) to make a "Baby Rails Rag Quilt" from Frayed Edge Fun by Evelyn Sloppy. (Not a great last name for a quilter but the beauty of these rag quilts is that all "sloppiness" is hidden in the frayed edges and soft flannel fabric.)  This quilt will be for an adult lap quilt so it will have 9 rows instead of 5 for the baby pattern.

I have made several others from the same pattern.  My first was for myself and included colors used in my house:  yellow gold, maroon, sage green.


It is so warm and soft and cuddly on cold nights--or afternoons when I read--that I made more for Christmas.  I'll find photos of the Sunny Days quilt for Sara and the menswear flannel fabrics from Fabric.com for my son and his family.

For now, I need to lay out the sandwiches and create the design for this quilt.  That's the most fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment