Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rag Quilt Comes Together

I had some time this afternoon to start the blue and brown quilt for Kathy.  After sandwiching all the batting between matching rectangles of fabric, I laid out the pattern on the bed.  It's a queen mattress so nine rows cover the top.  The pattern from the book is for a baby quilt, but I make it an extra long lap throw to cover the toes of a tall, adult person!




The design includes block A of three fabrics and block B of three fabrics
separated by sashes of three different fabrics.


Block A (sideways) has a blue medallion print, a solid brown and a blue swirls pattern.


Block B (sideways) has a bird print, a tie-dye aqua, and a lighter blue medallion print.


I pick up each row of the design and pile up the blocks and sashes in order (and flipped upside down) with a label separating each row. Then when I sew, I have some idea where I am in the pattern, design and progress of the quilt. I also use the labels later to identify the rows for sewing together.


Here are all the rows (now flipped over to start with row 1) in the bin and the leftovers.


My sewing space is ready to go. It's not large, just a spot in the bedroom, but it's cozy.


Block A has been sewn together with 1/2 inch seams and connected to a sash.


Block A and block B connected by a sash.


Row 1 is all done. Notice the label is now pinned to the row so I can sew them together in the right order, maintaining the pattern and design.  The pattern for row 1 is Block A, sash, Block B, sash, Block A, sash, Block B. All rectangles are 4 X 10 inches.


Row 2 is done.  Notice the pattern begins and ends with 2 sashes, then Block A,
a single sash, Block B, another sash and Block A.


Row 1 and 2 sewn together.


The reverse side (flipped, top is now on right side).

Time: 3 hours.

Seven more rows to go! About an hour per row.









No comments:

Post a Comment