Monday, January 12, 2015

Cheery Christmas Card for 2014

When I think of my Mother, I visualize red tulips.  My Father died this past summer. Already I visualize a cardinal when thinking of him.  So this year's Christmas card had to include a cardinal, state bird of Ohio, my home state.


It took me a month to gather supplies and consider several ideas from Pinterest for cards using cardinals. I made several attempts and finally came up with a design I could produce 80 times before Christmas!


A Tim Holtz Alterations Collection Christmas Cardinal die cut block helped make it quicker 
to cut out the bird and the limb with two different colors at one time.


The twigs and the birds pile up.  Each will need some trimming for the final design.


Each cardinal became a little more realistic with shading. The edges and the belly were daubed with Ripe Avocado.  I added the black mask with black marker.  I cut the feet to make claws for grasping the twigs.  I added a rhinestone eye on each to complete the look.


I embossed the bottom of each panel with the sentiment "Happy Holidays".
The bird and branch will be on top.  The panel will be attached to the card base.


Card bases were Pinefeather Green from Papertrey Ink.


Branches go on ten at a time.


Pine needles are stamped on -- and a pine cone added too!


The cardinal sits on the branch.  I added some snowy sparkle and texture with 
a Martha Stewart product called Sparkle Texture Effect.  

And that's just the fun part!
I had to assemble the front panel on the card base, add a white insert, write notes, 
address envelopes and stamps--and get to the post office.
But I love to do it. Each card becomes a small gift for each recipient.
Merry Christmas 2014.
Cheer! Cheer! Cheer! to all--as the cardinals say.











No comments:

Post a Comment